Friday, July 27, 2012

Hong Kong - Cosmo Mongkok Hotel (Tai Kok Tsui Hotel)

When I was doing some research for my HK trip, I often came upon comments or remarks on how small hotel rooms in HK is. I can't say I was surprised to see such comments as I also heard that HK is full of shoe-box flats.

So when I arrived at Cosmo Mongkok Hotel, the first impression that I got was that the hotel building is very slim, and tall...

It is right at a corner of a crossroad - a busy one I must say - with its main entrance facing the the other corner of the crossroad diagonally. While based on my experience 4 or 5-star hotels would have a grand and fancy entrance, that is not the case with this hotel.

I was not impressed.

Especially during our visit, they were renovating the Receptionist desk, and the temporary desk was just a small study table cramped with two laptops for two ladies receiving guests.

While we were waiting for our turn - the hotel was pretty busy - we were guessing how big our room would be. Do note that this hotel building is SLIM *I even think that my previous apartment (ard 100 sqm) is even bigger (square-meter-wise) than this hotel - hmmm, okay, maybe this hotel is a little bigger*

Our room was a Quad/Family room that can occupy 4 pax.
Friend A guessed that our room would occupy the whole floor. *a very positive guy*
Friend B guessed half of the floor. *not so positive guy*
My guess: "nah, it would be much smaller than your guesses." *one pessimis, ehmm, realistic fellow...*

And the winner is.... *drum rolls*
ME! ME! ME!!!

Our room was on 24th floor, and there were many rooms other than ours.
The room was divided into 2 separate rooms, one with single beds, a small pantry, a small desk, and a huge TV; the other room is a double bed and a direct access to a bathroom with bathtub.

fast fact on our room - taken from the hotel's website
The reality: the single beds room
The reality: the double bed room
Day view - right after the rain
Night view
Despite the initial less-than-impressed feeling I had for this hotel, I had to give a compliment for the hotel porters that helped us with our luggages, they were a bunch of helpful fellow. They attended to us right after we got off our taxi, really took care of our luggages well, and every time we were coming or leaving our hotel, they would straight away open the door for us. Though I've stayed in many (ehem.. few) 4-5 star hotels, I still think that their service is higher than average.

PS: breakfast was average with less variety of food compared to hotels in Yogyakarta (which are also 4-5 star hotels).

No comments:

Post a Comment